Monday, August 8, 2011

yarn wreaths :)

   I loved making these! They turned out really cute and once I got the hang of it, it took no time at all.  I made these for some co-workers and thought I'd share :) 

   Materials Needed:

  • yarn, any color you choose (I recommend thicker yarn, the thicker the yarn - the easier it is to cover the wreath!)
  • straw wreath (this is what I used, found them at Michael's for $2.99.  FYI, leave the wrapping on that covers the straw, that would just get too messy)
  • scissors 
  • hot glue 
  • felt (choose various colors to match the yarn to make your flowers with)
  • anything else you want to add to your wreath (on the brown wreath, I added a wooden oval so that the person I was giving it to could add "grammy's house" as she was giving it to her mom for mother's day:))
   This project really doesn't cost a lot, but might take some time on your first one!
First, you need to wrap your straw wreath in the yarn.  A few tips: I cut long individual pieces of yarn and used those to wrap instead of the whole bundle.  Also, just know that the yarn is not going to turn out perfectly straight but I think that's better.  Don't be afraid to overlap yarn or double wrap some sections- the circle shape gets tricky.  Once your wreath is completely wrapped up in yarn it's time to make your felt flowers.  I'll show you some pictures as I describe how to create them for all those visual learners out there :)

   Flowers:
1. cut a circle of felt
2. cut a "swirley"in the circle, don't worry about it being perfect!
3. begin from the outside and start to roll the felt in your fingers as shown below.  Continue rolling until the end of the flower (the center) is left and hot glue the center to the bottom of your flower.  It should turn out like the last picture shown here.


This is just one type of flower you can make, I personally like the look of different flowers on the wreath but this is your wreath- make it your own! Here's another flower idea to spark your creativity:

 I really love these! I think what I love most about them is how easily manipulated they can be.  After cutting and gluing, I topped off the flower with a button as a center surrounded by yarn.  I think adding something fun in the center can spruce up the flower, and feel free to make this as big or as small as you'd like.  Here's how to get started:
1. cut the felt in the shapes of the picture illustrating 'petal like' pieces.
2. on the flat part of the petal, pinch together and secure with hot glue, as shown.
3.  *optional* stack the petals to make a flower like the one I uploaded above, or stick to a single petal pattern
4. once all of your petals and cut and glued at the ends, cut another circle of the same color for the base of the flower and glue the petals to the circle
 5. add your own flair!  choose a creative center, use a fabric pen to decorate, add fake or felt leaves, anything your wreath desires.

The assembly of the wreath is my personal favorite part! More pictures for you to enjoy




Remember, everyone loves a yarn wreath :)
Henry, my pup showing off for the blog

Erica :)







6 comments:

  1. Erica!! These are so so cute! I am going to attempt to make one. Thanks for the step-by-step directions and photos!!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cant wait to make a Valentine Wreath! what about Mothers day!

      Delete
  2. Erica, this blog is so cute! I love the projects that you have done. (BTW this is B's little sister, Carrie) I'm excited to start doing a little more crafting when I move back to Missouri. You've inspired additions to my new-found list of things that I wish to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE those! They are on my list of "crafts to make!"

    ReplyDelete